Here are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about LA Fashion Week.
How long has there been an “LA Fashion Week”?
Here are some key moments:
AUDI presents “Spring 2002 Designer Collections of Los Angeles Fashion Week”
– Mercedes-Benz creates LA Fashion Week shows with Smashbox Studios
– FashionWeekLA.com is founded as an independent news source
Competing “Downtown LA Fashion Week” created by BOXEight
– Mercedes-Benz and Smashbox leave Los Angeles; Downtown LA Fashion Week folds
– The Gallery LA (now Endless Road Entertainment) starts producing LA Fashion Weekend
Mike Vensel creates CONCEPT shows during LAFW
– World Coast Management creates “official” LA Fashion Week shows at lafwofficial.com, which are cancelled, apparently due to permit issues
– Style Fashion Week begins producing shows
– Style Fashion Week declared “official fashion week of Los Angeles” by Mayor Garcetti and Councilman Curren D. Price, Jr.
FashionWeekLA.com starts producing shows in conjunction with the LA Fashion Council, with dates that come a week before Style Fashion Week
– LAFW.net declares itself the latest “official” LA Fashion Week
– Meanwhile, FWLA.com enters market
Who produces LA Fashion Week?
A variety of independent producers.
What is LA Fashion Week?
LA Fashion Week is time of year when a number of international fashion collections — many of them from the West Coast — are presented to buyers, media and the public. Shows are created by various independent producers located throughout the city.
When is it?
March and October. It comes about a month after the beginning of New York Fashion Week, and directly follows Paris Fashion Week.
How do I attend / register?
See registration information.
Calendar of events?
See the LA Fashion Week calendar.
Questions about parking / invitations.
Please contact the producer of the show you’re attending.
Yes and no. Shows marked in green on the LAFW calendar are open to the public. Ones in orange are “industry only”.
Read this guide for designers.
Read this guide to modeling during LA Fashion Week.
Work / volunteer?
See our guide to volunteering or working at LA Fashion Week.
Submit event or photos?
Please submit here.
Sponsorship / promotion?
Contact individual show producers.
Help – I was invited to participate in LAFW and I’m not sure if it’s legit.
Here are some general rules of thumb:
Ask where the show will be held. Is it in a theatre? Large club? Warehouse? Restaurant? Dive bar? What part of town will it be held? Check the venue online and see if it’s something that looks right for you.
Do your homework. Does the producer have a history of good, prior shows? Check their website and Facebook. See if they have fans and a solid history, backed up with press and photos. When in doubt, ask questions.
How much are YOU paying to showcase or attend? Are you paying for your own flight and hotel accommodations, to model or “showcase” in a dive bar? Get all the facts and weigh the cost versus benefit.
Learn about modeling scams. No need to fret. We’re just saying to exercise reasonable caution. We recommend this guide to fashion-related scams.
Well, that’s about it. Good luck!